Friday, September 9, 2011

My heart aches so bad it hurts...

Two amazing souls and one lonely soul left behind....


What an interesting last few days it has been... I am pretty much speechless... but I would like to try to share some things that are on my mind at this time. Chandler and I just got home from a funeral of a dear friend of ours here in the McCully ward. We are too young to be attending any funeral of a friend that is about our age. Two years ago when we moved into the ward one of the first couples that we met, Heber and Olya were the cutest and sweetest couple to be so warm and friendly to us. This past Sat. the 3rd Heber past away. He and Olya have been married for 7 years. They met here in Hawaii at BYUH. Heber served his mission in Russia and Olya is from Russia, but met here in Hawaii after Heber's Mission. Heber received his BA, Masters, and PhD and has been working at University of Hawaii as a researcher. Olya too, is soon to graduate with her PhD from UH and teaches at UH currently in Economics. Both, truly brilliant individuals. They lived a life together full of adventures- They were constantly on the go with exploring new beaches, hikes, other walks of lifes, and the other islands. They have literally traveled the world together(Russia, Mexico, Paris, Asia, Belgium, and much more). They were the couple that truly cared about EVERYONE. I have never met two people that are as humble, and as Christlike as they. They reached out to so many people old and young. Every time I saw them together I had the biggest smile on my face because I can just tell that they are madly in love with one another. Serving in the ward and community to the fullest and so selfless. Chandler and I have spent many beach days with them, have had them over to our house for dinner, over for dessert and a game of cards, over to help Chandler with Economics HW, went camping together, over to their house as well, and many church activities spent together. They became one of the couples that we grew close with as there are few young couples in our ward. Heber loved the outdoors, he loved fishing, spear fishing, snorkeling, free-diving, kayaking, and anything else that had to do with the water. Just a few days ago we were at the beach together and I look up above to one of the trees that lines the beach, about 20-30 feet up there Heber was climbing a tree with all fours wrapped around the trunk. He always had to be doing something that kept him entertained to the extreme. Heber would go free-diving sometimes in the early mornings on the wknd and then meet up with Olya and the rest of the group later that afternoon at the beach. Last Sat. he did not show up at the beach with the group when he said he would be there at 2pm. He went free-diving alone at 7am and experienced what you call "shallow water blackout" most likely on his first dive down. Oyla went to go find his car at about 430 as she began to worry...she found his car. Heber and his dive flag was found by a charter boat shortly after 5 of the west coast of Oahu.

The funeral was a wonderful service today, it was full of tears as well as some great stories to bring laughter. It was pleasant to listen to the speakers, and we felt the spirit in unbelievable amounts- so strong as the violin was being played, "If you could Hie to Kolob". I am so grateful for the Gospel in our lives, I am so grateful to be a part of the LDS faith and to know the things that I know and to BELIEVE. I am grateful for Eternal marriage and to know that I am married to my eternal companion. I have a great understanding of our Plan of Salvation. I understand the process that needs to be taken and in which order. I know that Heber was welcomed into the presents of our Savior and understand he is in a better place. I know that it is selfish to still want him here on this crazy earth life... but I can't stop thinking of Olya. She is left behind. Her future with him and her expectations of life with Heber are gone. After the funeral I was able to see her for the first time since the tragedy. I held her face in my hands, I held her little body in my arms... I held her so tight and didn't want to let go...we cried and we cried some more... we laid each others heads on each of our shoulders. I understand that this is a part of life but in the moment I can't comprehend it, I can't believe it. My heart literally aches for her. It's not Heber that I worry much of, it's the pain that I feel for Olya who is left behind to carry on alone in this life for the time being. She is the one suffering now. I held her again, she cried again, I sobbed again, this time on Chandler's chest as he held us both... I wish so bad that I could take some of her pain away. No one deserves to be left behind from their companion this early. I can't believe it, I don't want to believe it, it's not real, and when you ask her its really not real and its not happening right now to her. I just wish I could be with her 24-7. I wish I could hold her, hug her, cry with her... and I know I will get to do that for her off and on through out this mourning time. We always think it won't happen to us or to someone close to us. Life really is so short. As I write this the tears are rolling down my face, I feel so helpless and I care about her so much. I haven't ever felt so much pain for a friend before. I want to do so much for her but don't know what-I know its because she has had such a huge impact on my life by the example she is. This is why I am hurt and so affected by her sorrow. She is next to perfect. I want to be like Olya-seriously. Again, I am grateful for My Heavenly Father and My Savior and all the blessings that have been given to me. I am so fortunate.

Here is the link to the News clip on Heber the day it happened.

Friends Mourn Heber Moulton - Video - KITV Honolulu

And I came across this video link of a Speech Olya gave at BYUH graduation 5 years ago. She is an outstanding individual and my love and prayers sincerely go out to her sweet soul....


I love you Olya- you are a special spirit, and a courageous daughter of God

4 comments:

Hogg Family said...

I'm so glad you were at the funeral to give her hugs I couldn't give! Your post has me bawling though after I finally thought I was getting it together! =) I agreed with everything you wrote though! Love ya girl!

Dan and Anne Moss said...

Lieren, your comments were so true! I too LOVE Olya. She is an amazing person. I look up to her as well. I have never met a nicer person.

Kameron and Janzyn said...

Wow.. I also have tears streaming down my face. What a hard trial. She is lucky to have a friend like you Lier. I will keep her in my prayers.

Carry on.

We hope you guys are well!

Linda said...

Love your blog Lieren. Thank you for the post, which is a good reminder for us all to hold each other just a little closer....