warning: Some gruesome bloody details told....So it was a crazy moment from the time Chandler picked me up from work yesterday around 4pm. We were driving home on a really busy street. Chandler hears a loud crash noise as we waited at a red light in an intersection and he glances in our rear view mirror and sees this guy on his Harley Motorcycle about 5 cars behind us get T-boned by a mini cooper. Chandler instantly pulls our car off to the side of this busy road and jumps out of car and runs to this man laying on the ground. I'm sitting in the car for a split second and my heart is racing. I look back and see the man holding his head and then his leg and rocking back and forth on the road in pain. I cant stand to sit in the car. I turn the car off and run back as well. Two other people had gotten out of their cars to help but didn't know what to do for the man. Also was too much blood for some people. The mans leg and foot were gushing with blood and fat tissue was hanging out... his leg was torked. Blood was spilling everywhere and he was losing too much too quick. Chandler rips his own shirt off and ties a tourniquet on his leg to stop the bleeding. Chandler called 911. I knelt down next to the guy on the pavement and asked him if he had pain in his head, back or shoulders.. He said "no just my leg and foot". I got him to lay back and lay in my lap. His head was in my lap. I held his shoulders and his head firmly to try to keep him calm with firm but soothing pressure. The poor man was in so much pain I wanted to cry for him. He was probably about 50-55 yrs old, a local Hawaiian looking guy dressed in some nice shorts and a tucked in, button up, Aloha shirt. His shoe landed about 25 feet away from him and his bike. His nice Harley bike obviously tipped over and messed up. He was conscious and I kept talking to him to make sure he wasn't going to pass out on me. He was in a state of shock as well as myself. Chandler tied his leg, called 911, called his daughter to inform her, directing traffic, and then help arrived 10-15 minutes later. They got the man in the ambulance and gave him Morphine and he was in stable condition. Chandler was video interviewed by the news (shirtless) ha and told a few police officers what happened. The girl that T-boned him obviously didn't see him and she felt so bad and was a mess of course...I would be too. She felt so bad. I don't think she hit him at a very high speed but his bike is what sliced his leg and foot open. Chandler is amazing to switch into HELP mode that quick. He did a lot for the man with no hesitation. Chandler went about it in a very humble manner. I tried to comfort the guy the best I could, I wish I could have done more for him..You just feel so bad in the moment. I could not stop thinking about it for the rest of the day after we left the accident. Replaying the scene again and again in my head all night. It was a weird and solemn rest of the day. Chandler and I walked away happy that we could help a little but definitely feeling blessed. We are so lucky. We sometimes take our safety for granted just when we drive from one place to another. It makes us want to be very very extra careful and have PATIENCE when behind the wheel. The man should be fine and heal up normally..so we think! He probably doesn't even know what Chan nor I look like or really what we did but I know he too is happy someone stopped to help him until proper help arrived.
No comments:
Post a Comment